Sunday, August 28, 2011

Downpour Destruction

Things were heating up here in Vegas Motor Speedway. We woke up at 3A.M. on Thursday, August 25th and started our journey to Formula Drift Round 6. The Nitto Tire Mazda RX-8 felt phenomenal right off the back during practice! We were reaching 100+ MPH on entry at ease. I was impressed how fast and strong the new engine was running!

Towards the end of practice on Friday I got hit by a big surprise! Got the HKS sequential into gear, took off as fast as I can on the dry track conditions, reaching 103 MPH and all of a sudden it started pouring in rain right after I initiated drift. Right then and there I was trying to slow down by applying the front brakes and everything I can to stop. The transition from dry to wet condition was far to great of a difference and couldn't slow down all the speed and momentum after I pitched the RX-8 sideways.

I ended up hitting the k rail pretty hard on the passenger side and had a good amount of damage. I got out of the vehicle and was in shock of how bad the car looked! It was like getting punched right into my heart when I hit the wall. Because Ron, Ed Bergenholtz and the entire team put their heart and soul into the RX-8. Seeing the car with all damage broke my heart...

We got towed to our pit area and the team worked hard to make it out in time for qualifying. But there was too much damages and was not able to make it in time. Ed Bergenholtz gave me and the team energy/inspiration to keep our heads up in this situation. It's amazing how the team works together to keep a successful drifting program.

I know we got what it takes to perform and do well at the track! It seems like God is preparing us for next year to be stronger from all these battles/incidents this year.

We are still here in Las Vegas to perform a drifting exhibition nearby the Aria Hotel on Tuesday.

Thanks to Team Bergenholtz Racing and all of our supporters the Nitto Tire Mazda RX-8 is like new again. Looking forward to having better luck out at the finale.

Here are more photos on: www.speedhunters.com/archive/2011/0/8/27/in-the-moment-gt-gt-last-run-of-the-day.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment